20 Quick ways to feel happier
I think we can all do with a quick fix of happiness right now. Yes we have made it to stage 3, yes you get to purchase your fave bottle of red, but no you still can’t give your bestie a big hug.
Here are some socially-distanced, stage 3 friendly feel-good tips to get you through the next few weeks. Enjoy, share, and repeat.
- Crank the tunes. Try NOT smiling while blasting your fave feel-good song (or 5). Write it down. Did you know that taking the time to write down 3 positive things each day will make you more optimistic and less stressed?
- Get outside. Just a few minutes of fresh air can give you a fresh perspective.
- Walk it out. A 20-minute brisk walk gets the heart pumping and will decrease stress.
- Make a statement. With your accessories. A bold statement necklace, your too-cool-for-school shades or your favorite kicks can be all you need to turn a 'blah' day around.
- Give yourself a boost. Of healthy nutrients! We're talking fruit, veggies and protein. When your body feels good your brain will follow.
- Leave a note. Make someone's day by leaving a "you're beautiful" note on the bathroom mirror.
- Do something. Whether it's sending an email or clearing the clutter off your dining room table, just getting one tiny little thing off your to-do list and onto the 'it's done' list will give you a huge mental sigh of relief.
- Say "thank you." Even this small act of gratitude will boost your positivity.
- Learn something new. Whether it's reading a wiki about a topic that interests you, learning a new word, or watching a quick Youtube tutorial, the digital world is full of ways to learn things fast and on the go.
- Be a good listener. Seeking out meaningful conversations is proven to improve your sense of well-being.Let it go. You can boost your happiness by detaching from past negativity.
- Straighten up! Our posture dictates how we feel, so straighten up and walk like a boss!
- Try something new. Break out of your routine and mix things up! It can be as simple as walking down a different street - anything to just get off of autopilot and be present where you are.
- Text a friend. Reaching out to a pal and letting them know how awesome they are will make you feel awesome, too.
- Make plans. Having something to look forward to, even something small like making plans to grab a cup of coffee with a friend makes you happier. Anticipation is like a secret weapon of happiness.
- Help someone. Feeling down? One of the quickest ways to pick yourself back up is to do something kind for someone else. Bonus feel-good points when it's random and not expected of you.
- Stop comparing yourself. Chances are you always pick those at the very top to compare yourself to. No wonder you feel like you've come up short! Focusing on the things you've accomplished is a lot more productive.
- Smile. In one research study subjects who smiled after a stressful activity decreased their heart rate more quickly than those who didn't. It even works if you fake smile!
- Treat yourself. Sometimes a tiny little luxury in our day is all we need to break out of a rut. Even if it's a dollop of cream on your skinny hot choc.